Live long and prosper in 2016 with Lentil Vegetable Soup! Many cultures have various traditions and superstitions when it comes to the foods served in the first hours or day of the New Year. The best and luckiest of foods to eat, they say, will help you to live long and prosper in the coming year.
Winter Lentil and Vegetable Soup
Prep: 20 min / Cook: 1 hr / Serves 4-6
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for serving
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 large or 3 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced or chopped
- 14-16 oz. diced tomatoes with their juices
- 1 1/4 cups lentils, rinsed
- 1/2 pound kale, Swiss chard, or spinach, chopped
- 4 cups water or vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Black pepper to taste (or use cayenne or red pepper flakes if you like your foods to be spicier)
1. In a large soup pot, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat.
2. Add onions, carrots and celery and cook until onions start to get translucent, about 10 minutes.
3. Add garlic and cook about 2 minutes more, stirring frequently.
4. Add tomatoes with their juices, lentils, greens, water or broth, salt, basil, and thyme to pot.
5. Cover and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low and simmer slowly, stirring occasionally, for 50-60 minutes or until lentils and carrots are very soft.
6. Ladle the soup into bowls and drizzle with a bit of extra virgin olive oil and shredded Parmesan before serving.