A frittata is easy to make an oven baked omelet coming from Italian origins. Frittata’s are wonderful for a weekend brunch or an easy weeknight dinner. You often don’t need to follow an exact recipe with the vegetables or meats you choose to use. Simply use any left overs you may have in your fridge from another dinner.
The beauty of a frittata is that you are free to be as creative as you desire, once you follow the basic process. Working with a 8-12 inch skillet, use beaten eggs, adding in any combination of cheese, vegetables, and/or meat (always use meat and vegetables that are already cooked). Depending on the size skillet, simply increase the amount of eggs for your pan and the amount of items added to the eggs, also adjusting the amount of cooking time.
Roasted Vegetable Frittata
- 1 Green pepper and 1 red pepper, cut into 1 inch chunks
- 1 Eggplant cut into 1 inch chunks
- 1 Sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1 inch chunks
- 5 Plum tomatoes, cut into 4 chunks each
- 1 Medium onion, thinly sliced
- Olive oil
- balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp dried thyme
- 4 oz goat cheese
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup heavy cream (or buttermilk, or regular milk if you have neither)
- Salted and pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 450.
2. Line one medium cookie sheet and two small ones with foil. Lightly spray foil with nonstick spray.
3. Toss pepper chunks in olive oil, balsamic vinegar, dash of salt. Spread peppers on small cookie sheet and 4. roast approximately 30 minutes or until tender. Go ahead and just keep on using the same big bowl to toss everything.
5. Toss eggplant and sweet potatoes in olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper. Roast until tender on medium cookie sheet, approximately 40 minutes.
6. Toss tomatoes in olive oil, balsamic vinegar, dash of salt. Roast until tender on other small sheet, approximately 20 minutes.
7. Meanwhile, sautÃ© onions in olive oil until tender.
8. In 9Ã—9 inch glass or ceramic dish, layer onions, eggplant, potatoes, and peppers. Scatter thyme and crumble goat cheese over top.
9. Whisk eggs with cream and pour mixture over.
10. Bake at 450 until set, approximately 50 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before eating. Top with grated cheese of your choice.