These Zucchini Fritters can be served plain or topped with pulled pork, shredded chicken, or any other favorite topping. They’re crispy on the outside, with a mild sweetness from the zucchini, and a flavor that goes well with almost any topping you’d like to put on them.
To make sure the fritters get properly crispy, be very aggressive about squeezing water out of the zucchini. Often it helps to shred them, sprinkle them with salt, and then let them sit for a minute or two to draw the water out. Then you can squeeze the shreds with your hands or in a cheesecloth (you might be surprised at the amount of water one zucchini can produce!). This helps avoid any potential sogginess and give you that nice crispy edge to the tops.
These would make a great addition to any kind of party tray. Or for a quick snack (or for little fingers), you could just as easily use a mini muffin tin instead of a full-size one.
Oven Baked Zucchini Fritters
Makes: 12 // Prep: 20min // Cook: 25 min
- 1 ½ lb. zucchini (about 3), grated
- 2 large eggs
- 1 large onion finely chopped or minced
- 1 cup of flour (can use coconut or almond flour too)
- 3 tbsp. fresh chives, finely chopped
- ½ tbsp garlic powder
- Cooking fat
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat your oven to 400.
2. Squeeze any extra moisture out of the shredded zucchini and pat it dry – really try to get as much liquid out as possible.
3. Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl, season to taste, and stir until everything is well combined.
4. Grease each muffin tin, and fill each cup with an equal amount of the zucchini mixture.
5. Place in the oven and bake for about 25 minutes.
6. Serve warm with your favorite topping: pulled pork, shredded beef, pulled chicken, or even beef patties.