Salads like this, with some protein from the beans and plenty of lemon flavor, is the perfect salad for those hot summer days when you don’t feel like cooking. It’s a great go-to dish for whenever you’re asked to bring a side dish salad to a party, especially BBQs – since it goes so beautifully with grilled meat.
The flavors in the salad get better over time, so make it a few hours before you serve it if you can. You can also top it with leftovers like smoked salmon or stir through some tuna to make a delicious lunch.
ChickPea Feta Salad with Herbs
- Half a large red onion, diced
- 3 Gloves garlic
- 1.5 tablespoons olive oil
- Generous pinch red pepper flakes
- 2 (14 oz) Cans of chickpeas
- 4 Scallions, green parts only, chopped
- 1 Cup chopped parsley (or cilantro)
- 10 cherry tomatoes
- Juice of one lemon
- 6 Ounces of chopping or crumbled feta
1. Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat. SautÃ© the red onion for 5 minutes. Add the garlic and chili and cook another 1-2 minutes. Set aside to cool. Once cooled place in salad bowl.
2. Drain the chickpeas, rinse and place in salad bowl. Add cherry tomatoes, feta, scallions, parsley (or cilantro), lemon juice and salt and pepper. Add the onion and garlic mixture and remaining oil.
3. Mix all ingredients together and add salt and pepper to taste.