This is a great springtime dish that you can make ahead of time and serves 4-6 people easily. It’s a nice light meal full of delicious baked chicken, rice, veggies, and cheese. It is not the quickest recipe in the world, but totally worth it if it means freeing up your hands once guests arrive, or just making some large batches and freezing them.
Chicken and Wild Rice Casserole
Prep: 15 min / Cook: 25 min / Total Time: 40 min
Yield: 4 servings
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 4 scallions, sliced
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken (skin removed)
- 1 cup medium-grain wild rice
- 1 plum tomato, chopped
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup sour cream (or Greek Yogurt)
- 1 cup diced Havarti cheese (about 4 ounces)
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese (about 1 ounce)
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
2. Melt the butter in a large ovenproof skillet over medium heat.
3. Add the garlic and about three-quarters of the scallions and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 2 minutes.
4. Add the broccoli, chicken, rice, tomato, 1 teaspoon salt, and pepper to taste; stir to combine.
5. Whisk the chicken broth and sour cream in a bowl, pour into the skillet and bring to a simmer.
6. Stir in half each of the Havarti and Parmesan. Cover tightly with a lid or aluminum foil, transfer to the oven and bake until the rice is tender and most of the liquid is absorbed, about 20 minutes.
7. Turn on the broiler. Uncover the skillet and sprinkle with the remaining Havarti and Parmesan, then broil until golden, about 2 minutes. Sprinkle with the reserved scallions.