An easy, healthy recipe for crock pot stuffed peppers with quinoa, chicken, and black beans. Less than 10 minutes of prep, freezer friendly and gluten free!
Chicken Quinoa Crock Pot Stuffed Peppers
For the Peppers
- 6 large bell peppers, any colors you like (our favorite were red)
- 1 pound ground chicken or turkey (I used chicken)
- 1 (14-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14-ounce) can fire roasted diced tomatoes (with juices)
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/4 cup shredded pepper jack, Monterrey jack, cheddar, or similar cheese, divided (I used pepper jack)
- Sliced avocado
- Chopped fresh cilantro
- Sour cream or plain Greek yogurt
- Freshly squeezed lime juice
- Slice the tops off of the bell peppers (cut as close to the top as you can so that you have max space for stuffing), then carefully remove the ribs and seeds so that you do not break the sides of the peppers. Set aside.
- Place the ground chicken into a large bowl. Add the drained black beans, tomatoes with their juices, quinoa, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, salt and 3/4 cup of the cheese. With a fork or your fingers, stir to combine. Spoon the filling into the hollowed out centers of the peppers, filling the peppers all the way to the top.
- Pour 1/2 cup water into an empty 5-quart or larger slow cooker. Stand the peppers up on their bases in the water, arranging them so that the peppers are evenly spread apart. Cover the slow cooker and cook on low for 6 hours or on high for 3 hours, until the peppers are tender. Remove the lid, sprinkle the peppers with the remaining 1/2 cup cheese, then recover the slow cooker and let heat for a few additional minutes, until the cheese is melted. Serve hot with desired toppings.