Skip the starchy noodles and layer all the tasty components of a cheesy pesto chicken lasagna into a perfectly tender baked spaghetti squash. We LOVE this delicious gluten-free dish!
Cheesy Pesto Chicken Lasagna Stuffed Spaghetti Squash
- 1 medium-large spaghetti squash
- 2 cups chopped chicken, cooked via your favorite method*
- 1/4 cup homemade or store bought pesto
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/2 an egg [use the white or the yolk]
- 1/4-1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, packed
- 3/4tsp garlic powder
- 3/4 tsp dried parsley
- 1/2 tsp Italian spice blend
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup chopped tomato, plus extra for topping**
- 6 slices of fresh mozzarella or 2-4 oz freshly grated mozzarella
- fresh parsley and/or basil to garnish
*Vegetarians: Substitute meaty mushrooms [buttons or bellas] for the chicken and maybe add a few sauteed onions and you’re good.
**Optional: you can absolutely use your favorite red sauce in place of the chopped tomato or go all out and use a little of both!
1. Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Slice your spaghetti squash in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds.
3. To prevent sticking, rub the rim of the squash’s flesh with a teeny bit of olive oil or simply place a little water inside your baking dish. Both work great!
4. Place inside a baking dish or atop rimmed, lined baking sheet [some liquid will escape] and roast face-down for 40-60 minutes. Cooking time will depend on size and the once rock-hard exterior of the squash will be visibly softened with a tender inside.
5. If they aren’t already in one, add your cooked squash to baking dish.
6. Cook chicken via your favorite method and chop into bite sized pieces, then toss in 1/4 cup of pesto. Set aside.
7. Next whisk up an egg yolk [or grab the whites from one large egg] into your ricotta and add freshly grated Parmesan cheese, garlic powder, dried parsley, salt, and your favorite Italian seasoning blend. Set aside.
8. Line each cooked spaghetti squash with chopped tomato or a thin layer of your favorite red sauce (or both).
9. Top each with your seasoned ricotta; pile it on!
10. Next add your pesto chicken and sprinkle with some extra chopped tomato.
11. Top with sliced or grated mozzarella and cover the baking dish in foil, leaving a little room at the top so the cheese doesn’t stick.
12. Bake at 350 degrees F for around 35-40 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
13. Garnish with fresh parsley and/or basil leaves